1882nd History Report 1967

1882nd CS History Report 1967

1965196619681969197019711972Go to Mission PageGo to Home PageAdministrationPersonnelPlans and ProgramsFlight FacilitiesOperationsMaintenanceBase Attacks
Jan - Jun
During this period there were two 70250 airmen assigned, one a Staff Sergeant and one an Airman Second Class. A physical inventory of all publications and forms was conducted and sufficient publications and forms became available to maintain an efficient administrative operation. There were some publications unavailable but complete requirements were established and missing publications were ordered. From 27 February to 3 March, a general inspection was conducted by Pacific Communications Area IG team. The overall rating for this function was satisfactory. Minor deficiencies were noted and have since been corrected. The Squadron Orderly Room was relocated into a more suitable building, and new typewriters were procured to enhance the administrative operation. CWO W-4 Albert J. Mellon replaced Captain William E. Dussetschleger as additional duty Administrative Services Officer and 1st Lt Robert D. Terrell replaced CWO W-4 Boy S. Brown as additional duty Assistant Administrative Services Officer. At the end of this reporting period, there were only three 70250 personnel assigned to the squadron, with only one A2C in charge of the Orderly Room administrative duties. One SSgt, due to rotate in early July and one A1C remained on duty in the squadron.

Jul - Dec
During this period there were two 70250 airmen assigned, a Sergeant and an Airman First Class. The sergeant reported into the organization on 20 July 1967. Two 70250 Sergeants, one assigned to the Flight Facilities section and the other to the Maintenance section reported during July. An inventory of publications requirements and requisitions was conducted and additional requirements established for publications. A records Management Course was held in Bangkok, Thailand, and attended by one of the administrative personnel. Information and knowledge gained was passed on to the 70250 personnel in the squadron. One month later a PACAF Records Management Course was held on base, attended by all 70250 personnel in the squadron. Master Sergeant William A. Wood replaced Captain R. D. Terrell as Assistant Administrative Services Officer. Captain Robert C. Sparks was also designated as Assistant Administrative Services Officer. At the end of this report period there were five 70250 personnel assigned to the squadron, two in the Orderly Room and one each in Telecommunications, Maintgenance and Flight Facilities.
To the top of page

Jan - Jun
During this period the 1882 Communications Squadron had a present for duty strength which fluctuated between 115 and 130, including temporary duty assistance from the 1st Mobile Communications Group and other AFCS units in Vietnam. Senior Master Sergeant Ernest F. Sato replace the incumbent First Sergeant, Senior Master Sergeant Elmer E. Pfenning after Sgt Pfenning's rotation to CONUS, Sgt Soto, Superintendent of Telecommunications, filled the First Sergeant slot during the interim period pending the arrival of Senior Master Sergeant Gordon R. Scott, 01090, due in July. Many new and more effective procedures were established to expedite personnel processing and improve the overall function of the Personnel Section during this period. A new Airman Performance Report suspense system was established. A sponsorship program was initiated, through which assigned personnel wrote letters of welcome to incoming personnel offering information and assistance. All military pay processing was taken over by the host base CBPO, and new and consolidated in/out processing procedures were established. The following Key Personnel changes were made due to reassignments:
  1. Capt Donald W. Autry replaced CWO W-4 Roy G. Brown as Chief of Maintenance.
  2. 1st Lt Robert D. Terrell replaced 1st Lt Kenneth D. McNichel, Jr. as Chief of Telecommunications.
  3. CWO W-4 Albert J. Mellon replace Capt William E. Dussetschleger as Flight Facilities Officer.
  4. SMSgt Richard V. Fiegeni replaced SMSgt Robert D. Helderb as Flight Facilities NCO.
  5. SMSgt Ernest F. Soto replaced SMSgt Harold G. Hood as Superintendent of Telecommunications. .

Jul - Dec
During this period the unit had a present for duty strength which fluctuated between 125 and 155, plus temporary duty assistance from the 1st Mobile Communications Group and other AFCS units in Vietnam. Senior Master Sergeant Gordon R. Scott reported into the organization on 31 July 1967, as First Sergeant, replacing acting First Sergeant Ernest F. Soto, who was also Superintendent of Telecommunications. On 13 August 1967, Master Sergeant William A. Wood reported in and assumed responsibility as NCOIC of Personnel and Administration. Many new and more effective procedures and policies were established to expedite personnel processing and improve the overall function of the personnel section. A new one-stop processing system was established to expedite the clearing in and out process. Upon receipt of PCS orders for incoming personnel, the applicable section is notified of input by an Airman Assignment letter. Each section indorses the letter back designating a sponsor. The indorsement also includes duty section, function code, reporting official, etc. The following key personnel changes were made due to reassignment and additional authorizations:
  1. Major James G. Cole replaced Major Frank C. Czerny as Squadron Commander.
  2. Captain Charles R. Riggs Jr. replace Captain Donald W. Autry as Chief of Maintenance.
  3. Captain Robert C. Sparks replaced Captain Robert D. Terrell as Chief of Telecommunications. Capt Terrell became Special Assistant to the Commander.
  4. Master Sergeant Noah H. Holifield replace Master Sergeant William D. Roof as Maintenance Superintendent for the interim period before the arrival of Master Sergeant Darden G. Welsh.
  5. Senior Master Sergeant Robert J. Bennett as assigned as GCA Chief Controller.
  6. Senior Master Sergeant Gordon R. Scott replaced Senior Master Sergeant Ernest F. Soto as First Sergeant.
To the top of page

Plans and Programs
Jan - Jun
The continued growth and development of the Plans and Programs section was evidenced by the forty-eight (48) schemes they had monitoring responsibility for as of 30 June. Installation of the base 1000 line dial exchange began 13 January. Installation was completed, with exceptions, on 31 March when the acceptance forms were signed. The facility was placed in an operational, but pending correction, status due to discrepancies for which GEEIA was responsible. The same status was imposed on the Tower due to GEEIA installation discrepancies. February was the Site survey month, as surveys were accomplished on three schemes. The first of these schemes, Seek Silence II, was surveyed on 2 February. Schemes for the Weather Teletype and dual TACAN facility were also completed. A pre-installation survey of the Base Communications Facility disclosed that the GEEIA plan for Under-the-floor ducting was not possible. The scheme is being re-engineered for overhead ducting. Construction began on the outside plant on 17 April. Estimated completion date was 15 August. That date, at the close of FY 67, did not seem realistic as estimates at that time extended. Installation of the Weather Schemes began on 16 May. The First Mobile Communications group deployed equipment to Phan Rang on 19 June the ALCE mission after their arrival. Requirements were submitted to higher headquarters for expansion of the weather telewriter system. Site Surveys for the final AUTODIN plan were performed by Pacific GEEIA Region on 28 June. All plans were reviewed and updated during the period, in keeping with established policies. All functional areas were surveyed by the Pacific Communications Area Manpower Validation team in January. Proposed changes became effective on 1 July. Additional proposed changes, submitted by each squadron section, were forwarded to higher headquarters in late June.

Jul - Dec
At the close of this period, Plans and Programs had the monitoring responsibility for forty-four (44) communications-electronics schemes. Installation of the UHF Ground-to-Air Radio System at the 35th Tactical Fighter Wing Tactical Unit Operations Center (TUOC) was completed without exception on 7 August. The facility provided TUOC with the capability to talk to flying tactical aircraft from the center. On 7 October, the Stromberg-Carlson 5808 Crash/Conference System installation was completed, also without exception. The installation provided the base with a twenty (20) line Security Police system and a ten (10) line Crash/Conference system with control set, to be used for crash reporting, guard post alerting, or other functions requiring immediate and simultaneous contact with all stations within one system. As of 30 November, when the 485th GEEIA Squadron personnel ended construction of our Outside Cable Facility, approximately fifty (50) miles of cable had been installed throughout the more than ten (10) square miles of air base property at Phan Rang. The cable system provides tactical and administrative communications systems for military and civilian agencies in the Phan Rang Air Base area. Within the Base Communications Center, installation teams, also from 485th GEEIA, completed several essential schemes in support of the secure long haul communications system. Before completing the project on 23 December, the teams installed Red/Black Patching Monitor Equipment, which provide positive control over the security of cryptographic equipment, secure teletype equipment to support circuits to the Defense Communications Agency (DCA) relay at Nha Trang Air Base, the PAFCO Minor Relay and the 7AF Tactical Air Command Center (TACC) at Tan Son Nhut Air Base, and the 834th Air Division Airlift Command Element (ALCE) at Phan Rang Air Base. The same team installed a teletype patching facility in our Base Communications Center to expedite circuit restoration. A real significant milestone in communications development was the installation of th IBM 1013 Computer in support of the DCS Automatic Digital Network (AUTODIN) for Southeast Asia. At the end of this historical period the system was awaiting testing with the DCS Relay at Nha Trang Air Base. Funds still had not been realized for the construction of the Transmitter/Receiver building as of 31 December.
To the top of page

Flight Facilities
The area of responsibility of the Flight Facilities section increased on 17 February when the second runway, constructed of concrete, was opened to traffic. Simultaneously, all permanently assigned aircraft were relocated to the west side of the ramp, greatly increasing Tower responsibility for arriving and departing aircraft. Shortly after the Host Base erected revetments for protection of assigned aircraft in the event of enemy mortar/rocket attack, the Flight Facilities Section requested the same protection be afforded the GCA and Beacon facilities. These requests, to date, have not been realized. Formulation of procedures for GCI and GCA hand-offs and recoveries was accomplished in early April. These procedures, upon agreement by all interested parties, were introduced on a test basis on 25 April. Formal adoption was completed on 20 June. As a direct result of the mentioned procedures, service to the using units was greatly improved. We processed one Low Altitude Standard Instrument Departure for conventional aircraft. It was reviewed by 7th Air Force prior to forwarding to Air Charting and Information Center for publication. Services will be improved by the additional radar monitoring services which will be provided. The 1882 Communications Squadron has been formally recognized by SEACH in their Flight Facilities Digest for the adoption of our Air Traffic Control Brief by Host Base agencies for distribution to incoming flying personnel. The brief was published monthly in 450 copies for distribution to assigned and other interested agencies. Construction of the final runway and strobe light system was begun in late June. Estimated completion date was December, 1967. System controls will be located in the tower cab. One additional FAA recorder (Dictaphone 9CA) was installed in June. The most outstanding milestones and accomplishments of the concerned period were:
  1. Non-receipt of OWR's.
  2. All Service Evaluations conducted were for information only.
  3. One Aircraft Save Certificate was received on 1 January - totaling $647,973.
  4. Two assigned personnel were upgraded to next higher skill level.
  5. Approximately twenty personnel received facility ratings.

Traffic count for the concerned period were:

January February March April May June
Tower 23,244 20,221 28,092 22,371 22,661 19,716
GCA 1,376 576 875 1,441 1,579 1,436

Jul - Dec
During the second half of 1967, approximately thirty-four (34) facility ratings were issued to controllers in both Ground Controlled Approach (GCA) and Control Tower. The adoption of a cross training program in September resulted in eight controllers becoming rated as effective in both facilities. The monthly Air Traffic Control Brief reached total distribution of 550 copies. The Brief, issued to various agencies at Phan Rang, contains pertinent information regarding the science of air traffic control as it relates to our customers and our facilities. December was the fifteenth consecutive month of publication. The facility shared in the 7AF Flying Safety Award presented to the 35th Tactical Fighter Wing (PACAF) for encountering neither accidents nor serious incidents between the periods 1 July through 31 December. In June, the base adopted our lettering and numbering system for the aircraft revetments. This afforded great assistance to the Control Tower in the direction of Security, Fire and Medical vehicles. During August, the radar at GCA encountered problems. It was discovered that in certain positions at certain altitudes. Radar failed to paint the aircraft on the scope. The unit was notamed of the air until the problem could be eliminated. Service was restored in October after extensive study and technical changes. In September, the Wing Speed, Humidity, Temperature and Cloud Height equipment for use of base weather personnel was installed in our Control Tower. This system made more complete information available to both controllers and aircrew men. Our Instrument Let-Down procedures were reviewed, based on new criteria of AFM 55-9 (TERPs), and forwarded to the Aeronautical Chart and Information Service (ACIS) for printing. Also in September, the Fast Time Constant (FTC) components were installed and flight checked at GCA. During November, an earthen revetment was constructed around our GCA unit to eliminate detrimental radar signal reflections. The revetment successfully reduced the reflections. In November, Visual Flight Rules (VFR) holding patterns were established at special points over the South China Sea for C-123 aircraft of the 315th Air Commando Wing to utilize when numerous aircraft are returning from their daily missions during late afternoon. This action gave the pilots a predestinated holding point and facilitated the smooth flow of aircraft in our landing pattern. In December, a TACAN-Precision Approach Radar (PAR) approach was adopted for use in the event that Air Surveillance Radar (ASR) became inoperative. This system allowed pilots to use TACAN to reach the final approach course, where they could be picked up on precision radar. The unit submitted input to the base for the establishment of an Air Traffic Control Manual, which provided valuable ATC information to interested personnel. The Flight Facilities Officer became a member of the Air Traffic Control Board, established in December. The membership also includes the Base Operations Officer, Flying Safety Officer and representatives of the base flying units.

Traffic count for the period were:

July August September October Novermber December
Tower 18,740 19,819 19,431 18,503 18,571 21,105
GCA 1,839 1,665 385 514 1,380 1,408

To the top

Teletype Operations:
The mission of this communications center has been to provide teletype communications in direct support of the 35 Tactical Fighter Wing Command Post. This mission has been expanded to include support of all units at Phan Rang Air Base. Daily FRAGS for all units ant the base and mission reports from the Intelligence section made heavy workloads, which were 50% of our traffic volume. The 315 Air Commando Wing recently moved to Phan Rang, along with the 834 Air Division's Airlift Command Element (ALCE). These units increased our regular traffic volume and workload. Coordination with the Base Director of Administrative Services early in the period established a requirement for all units on base to mail routine precedence traffic, decreasing our teletype workload. Operating from a mobile communications van (AN/TGC-20), the communications center successfully fulfilled all aspects of its mission. The center encountered a 100% turn over of personnel during the past six months, and the establishment of an efficient training program prevented any delay in message processing. The month of June saw the Phan Rang center place fourth in the Tributary Information Letter (TIL) "Top Five" club. AFCS standards were adhered to by accomplishing this, as the Communications Improvement Memorandum (CIM) standards were maintained below 0.5 percent. Our two secured circuits are channeled into the TACC Minor Relay at Tan Son Nhut (JRFCOC-39) and into PAFCO Minor Relay also at Tan Son Nhut (JRFCOC-41). The two circuits handled a total of 121,222 messages, mostly high precedence operational type traffic during this period.

Telephone Operations:
At the beginning of this concerned period, personnel losses, as in other telecommunications' sections, exceeded gains. Assigned personnel were placed on 12 hour shifts due to the lack of replacement personnel. During February, personnel turn-over was almost complete. The supervisory position was exchanged, when MSgt Carl E. Cooper replaced TSgt Robert Nunnery as NCOIC, Telephone Operations. March, from a personnel influx standpoint, remained much the same as the two preceding months. Traffic volume continued to increase throughout early 1967 due to both the Cantonment and Flight Line Switchboards being filled to capacity. The rate of incoming personnel versus outgoing personnel began to improve in mid April. As a result, operators were placed on a twelve on, twenty-four our off schedule for the first time since late December 1966. The arrival of vanguard elements of the newly assigned 315th Air Commando Wing caused an increase in the then too heavy workload. Request for telephone service doubled during this period. The cramped, limited facilities afforded by our mobile equipment had, since late 1966, been a hindrance. Since the arrival of the second wing, meeting telephone commitments has become extremely difficult. A noteworthy fact was that in the face of the heaviest traffic to date, there were no subscriber complaints brought to the attention of the Telecommunications offices. The new wing, in its' entirety, was in place by the close of Fiscal Year 1967, quadrupling telephone service requests. Telephone personnel performed in an outstanding manner throughout the six month period; one individual received letters of commendation from the Wing and Base Commanders for his outstanding performance.

Radio Operations:
During January three 293X0 personnel were permanently assigned to the Radio Operations Facility. There were two additional 293X0's TDY from the 1881 Comm Sq, and one SSgt on loan from the 35 Field Maintenance Squadron of the 35 Tactical Fighter Wing. The MARS facility had trouble keeping the cubical quad antenna up due to high winds. In February, the MARS Station doubled its capability through the installation of a new beam antenna and a high power linear amplifier. The new equipment was installed by station personnel under the direction of Major Richard K. Waring, Chief of MARS for USAF. Traffic for the 7AF Base Net for February was 102 while the January total was 48. MARS traffic increased to 1126 after handling 725 patches in January. There were no problems in the Tactical Radio Net during March, however, MARS encountered problems in the new T-12 Linear Amplifier. The antenna changeover relay had to be rebuilt and modified, and the coax cable to the antenna had to be replaced, due to standing wave ratio. A new circuit was set up for in-country MARS and a wall was constructed between MARS and Tac Radio. MARS traffic increased to 1339 during March. All wire antennae for the Tac Radio Net were relocated in April, and two additional ones were erected. A Collins Transceiver and Amplifier was purchased through the Central Base Fund (CBF) and installed by squadron personnel. Despite equipment failures, the MARS Station set a new Vietnam record for Air Force station with 1574 phone patches in April. The coax cable to the beam antenna burned. It was replaced and the beam was modified to prevent reoccurrence. Power fluctuated from 115 volts to 136 and caused extensive damage to the MARS equipment. Most of the damage was in the T-12 Linear amplifier. Parts had to be ordered from Chief MARS. The amplifier was down for 14 days. The new KWM-2A transceiver was also slightly damaged. Push-to-talk phones were installed in each position, increasing the quality of patches. May started with propagation troubles in the MARS long haul communications. There was no contact with CONUS for eight days during May. A 13-30 LP antenna was approved and ordered for MARS by CBF. On 26 May, four 29350 - radio operator personnel reported from 1st Mobil Communications Group for 60 days TDY. For a brief period, eight operator personnel were available for duty. In late June the two 29350 personnel TDY from 1881 Communications Squadron returned to their home station, leaving only two PCS and four TDY personnel to operate both MARS and Tactical Radio around the clock. In May, traffic on the Tactical Radio Net increased to 93 patches. MARS traffic remained normal except for the last week in June, when propagation was very unsettled. Total traffic handled in June on the MARS net was 1080, continuing to lead all Air Force stations in Vietnam. The permanent site of the new MARS facility was discussed with Major Samuel E. Roswell of the Base Civil Engineers. This station was informed that construction would start during September 1967. During June, traffic on the Tactical Radio Net reached a new high of 222 completed patches. In the Non-Tactical Radio area, the arrival of 210 portable radios in January marked the completion of the Base Security Net equipment plans. An ordering error, committed during October 1966, resulted in the arrival of 210 single unit battery chargers, where seven, 12 unit battery chargers would have been adequate. During February, additional equipment arrived for the POL Net, Disaster Net, Communications Net, Fire/Crash and Medical Net. Issuance of the February shipments was delayed due to in-route loss and misunderstanding on the part of the using agencies. Numerous billing reminders were received during March and April. Many invoices, some dating to FY 66, were unpaid due to lack of sufficient certification documents, acceptance forms, and Delivery Orders. Airman First Class William D. Gaither assumed responsibility for monitoring the accounts on 1 May. At that time there were no chronological files, case files, receipt records or initial issuance documents. During May, a concentrated effort was made to obtain all needed records. All on-hand invoices were certified for payment and forwarded to Cam Ranh Bay Accounting and Finance Office. Case files were established for each net, and customers were approached in an attempt to settle any grievances. Custodians were then appointed by each responsible organization, and a procedure was established to insure a close working relationship developed between the Monitor and the subscriber. Tracer action was initiated in early June on all missing equipment, and Reports of Survey were submitted to clear this unit's records. Action was taken to relieve this unit of the above mentioned 210 single unit chargers. Additional equipment arrived in June for the 554th Civil Engineers Squadron (RED HORSE) Net. The 600th Photo Squadron was issued their radio equipment, minus a base station antenna, which was still under tracer action. The Ramp Control Net frequency was changed, eliminating 39 of the 35th Field Maintenance Vehicle radios from the network. Action was taken to procure an authorized frequency for the 315th Air Commando Wing Commander's Net during the final weeks of June. Due to previous ordering errors and late arrival and acceptance of several equipment items, $69,000.00 of allocated funding was left as of 30 June.

During late March, SSgt Charles M. Foss became the COMSEC Accountant. Sergeant Foss vastly improved the Crypto Center. All emergency and Fire Preparedness Plans were rewritten or revised and coordinated with the necessary personnel. The first day of May marked the movement of the COMSEC account to the new Base Communications Building. The additional space afforded by the new location reduced effort required to adapt to new operational required due to the arrival of several newly assigned units. Eighty Six vouchers of COMSEC material were received as of 30 June. All vouchers were forwarded from the Saigon depot.

Teletype Operations:
The mission of the Base Communications Center continued to provide teletype communications in direct support of both the 35th Tactical Fighter Wing and the 315th Air Commando Wing. No administrative circuits were available in the center, however, support was also rendered to all base agencies through the PAFCO Minor Relay at Tan Son Nhut Air Base. Daily FRAGS for all flying units at the base and mission reports from 35TFW Intelligence continued to constitute the bulk of traffic handled. On 25 August, the AN/TGC-20 Mobile Communications Center Van, housing both dedicated circuits was relocated from the flight line area to the new Base Communications Building. The move was accomplished without major problems, due to the outstanding planning of TSgt Donald N. Jackson, NCOIC of Teletype and Crypto Maintenance. Only 3 ˝ hours of inactivity were realized. The van was installed against an entrance to the new building to allow utilization of additional floor space. Teams from 485 GEEIA Squadron began installation of the new communications center facility on 18 September. The team installed equipment to support circuits from our center to the Tactical Air Command Center (TACC) and the PAFCO Minor Relay, both at Tan Son Nhut AB, and to the DCS Relay at Nha Trang AB. They also installed IBM 1013 equipment in support of a circuit to the AUTODIN DCS Relay at Nha Trang. The GEEIA teams completed their installation on 23 December. At the close of this period, the equipment had been installed and was awaiting circuit activation. On 19 October, a team from the 1st Mobile Comm Gp activated a dedicated circuit between the 834 Air Division Airlift Command Element (ALCE) and Phan Rang and the Division’s Airlift Command Center (ALCC) at Tan Son Nhut. The team utilized an AN/MGC-6, Mobile Communications Center Van, for the activation. Our squadron assumed complete operational responsibility on 25 December. The two Base Communications Center circuits, delivering traffic into TACC and PAFCO Minor Relay, handled a total of 119,929 messages, mostly high precedence operational type traffic, during this period. Unit personnel continued to operate the communications center in support of “Combat Sky Spot” at Dalat, RVN.

Telephone Operations:
Significant historical development was noted during this period. The Stromberg-Carlson 1000 line Automatic Dial Central Office was activated on 15 August, allowing the first dial telephone facility in the history of Phan Rang Air Base. The improved service offered by the modernization of the telephone system was highly lauded by base officials and significantly enhanced the AFCS image at this location. The AN/MTC-2, Telephone Central Office Van, which had provided Phan Rang with telephone communications since the origin of the base, was returned to the 1st Mobile Comm Gp after it was definitely determined that the automatic dial system cutover was successful. During this period we continued to operate the AN/TTC-7, Telephone Switchboard, in support of agencies on the flight line side of the base. The programmed extention of the new base cable facility should eliminate its necessity and provide the entire air base with one centralized automatic dial system. The retermination of all off-base subscribers from our flight line switchboard to the Army operated “Strike Rear” switchboard eliminated a heavy work load on our operators. Installation of two additional trunks between our automatic system and the “Strike Rear” switchboard has significantly improved service to the two areas. We added one additional long line circuit to the Cam Rahn Bay Long Distance Switchboard to give us a total of nine lines for long distance use. During November, SSgt Arlie L. Smith replaced MSgt Carl E. Cooper as NCOIC of Telephone Operations.

Radio Operations:
During this period, rotations changed all personnel except the NCOIC and one operator. The Radio Operations Section continued its responsibility for the 7AF Base Net, MARS, and Non-Tactical Radio. The total traffic handled on the MARS frequencies diminished significantly due to the increase in MARS stations throughout Vietnam. The increased number of stations continued to utilize the same frequencies assigned. Traffic on the 7AF Base Net (SSB) increased as a result of effective customer education programs. Increased in-country radio traffic eliminated some work load on our administrative telephone switchboard long line service. In August, our Radio facility, then operated from a Jamesway building, was connected into base power. This provided us a stable electrical system. Also in August, we received the new logarithmic periodic (LP) antenna for MARS. The antenna was purchased with Central Base Funds (CBF) and installed by our Radio Personnel, with assistance from Telephone Maintenance. In October, CBF again provided funds to order additional equipment including a KWM-2A transceiver, LP antenna and Automatic rotor, 30S1 linear amplifier, PM-2 power supply, 312B-5 station control unit, and two microphones. At the end of this report, the station had received both microphones and the LP antenna. Also, in October, a KWM-2A transceiver on the SSB net, was damaged beyond repair during return shipment from Clark AB, PI. It had been sent to Clark AB for Depot Level Maintenance (DLM). Report of survey was initiated by Base Supply. In November, the efforts and plans of NCOIC, TSgt William M. Hodnett were finally realized when construction started on the new Radio Operations building. Sgt Hodnett selected the site and designed the building layout. On 29 November, Radio Operations moved into the new building. The new building, composed of 1600 sq ft and seven (7) rooms was a vast improvement over the roughly 200 sq ft provided by the Jamesway. Radio Operations personnel constructed consoles to house the equipment and built a patio recreation area near the building. The antennas were installed by personnel from Radio Operations and Telephone Maintenance. Traffic counts for the period were:

July August September October Novermber December Total
MARS 880 721 586 782 404 718 4,091
SSB 155 163 116 205 170 166 975

In the Non-Tactical Radio area, Sgt Preston E. Todd replaced Sgt William D. Gaither as NCOIC. All past acceptance records were cleared, allowing Motorola to begin invoicing for received equipment. A system was developed to program the master inventory of non-tactical radio onto punch cards. This inventory will be completed during the next historical period. At the end of this period, our unit maintained monitor responsibility for 750 non-tactical units.
To the top

During January, a Collins KWM-2A transceiver was installed with associated equipment for the 554 Civil Engineer Squadron (RED HORSE). Equipment maintenance responsibility was accepted by AFCS personnel. The teletype maintenance section installed a teleautowriter receiver in the Base Weather facility for receiving weather observations from the Control Tower. After severe winds had destroyed the MARS station's quad antenna, radio maintenance personnel, with volunteer assistance from MARS operators and other squadron personnel, reconstructed the antenna and put MARS back on the air with minimum down time. In February, the MARS quad antenna was again ripped down by intense winds, and a rotating beam antenna was installed by Major Richard E. Waring, Chief of MARS for USAF. Cable was installed and the complete telephone system for Base Civil Engineers was relocated. Also during February, the Pacific Communications Area IG team inspected the Maintenance complex. GEEIA completed installation of the 1000 line Automatic Dial Central Office in late March. The facility remained inoperative at the close of this report due to nonexistence of sufficient outside cable plant. A 1964 Communications Group Quality Control team inspected our facility and noted its outstanding progress since the last inspection. In April, the entire 35 Supply Squadron telephone system was relocated, including installation of additional cable to support the UNIVAC 1050 computer program. Installation of the outside plant cable schemes was begun by GEEIA in April. In late May, the second TACAN (TRN-6) was installed by a team from the 1st Mobile Communications Group. This installation gave us the dual TACAN capability we needed. An additional FAA recorder (Dictaphone 9A) was installed in the Control Tower and GCA by GEEIA and FAA personnel. With the additional channels we were able to record all land line communications from all positions in both Control Tower and GCA facilities. Squadron personnel assumed maintenance responsibility on 24 June. A team from the 1st Mobile Communications Group installed a UHF radio system (TRC-32) in support of the Airlift Command Element (ALCE) at Phan Rang. Maintenance responsibility was assumed by this unit on 26 June.

Jul - Dec
In early July, after being without special purpose vehicles for almost two years, two V-41 Telephone Line Trucks were received on station. This addition vastly increased the installation and maintenance capability of our Wire Section. Later in July, a GMQ-11, Four Direction Wind Speed Indicator, was installed in the Control Tower. The unit is controlled by a remote unit located near the Ground Controlled Approach (GCA) unit. On 7 August, Radio Maintenance assumed maintenance responsibility for two (2) AN/GRC-27’s, UHF Transmitter/Receivers, which were installed in the 35th Tactical Fighter Wing’s Tactical Unit Operations Center (TUOC). To allow our existing equipment to undergo Depot Level Maintenance (DLM), Armed Forces Radio Service (AFRS), in Saigon, shipped a BC-610, Radio Transmitter, to our unit. The changeover was satisfactorily completed and DLM was accomplished. The most significant event in the modernization of communications facilities occurred on 15 August, when Wire Maintenance personnel, headed by MSgt Noah H. Holifield Jr., completed the cutover of our Stromberg-Carlson Automatic Dial Central Office. The system was activated utilizing the original base cable. The complete system cutover was accomplished in approximately two hours with no major problems encountered. Radar Maintenance technicians discovered the “X” antenna drive unit within our GCA Radar system had defective oil seals. A replacement unit was procured and installed with the assistance of Mr. George Shelly, Technical Representative from the Gilfillan Company. On 24 August, TD-50, Precision Area Radar (PAR) Sweep Generator, developed problems, which required excessive manhours utilized by maintenance personnel with no obvious success. Maintenance assistance was requested from the equipment manufacture, and the problem was solved. In late August, men from our Wire Section installed a Western Electric Company (WECO) 302 Key System in GCA and Control Tower. The new system provided a dial line and two direct lines to improve coordination between Tower and GCA. On 26 August, with the assistance of 554 Civil Engineers and 35 Civil Engineers, Teletype Maintenance personnel relocated the AN/TGC-20, Communications Center Van, from the former location of the 35TFW (TUOC) to the Base Communications building. The move was accomplished without incident and all circuits were restored within 3 ˝ hours. A significant problem was realized with our GCA capability as a result of obvious “holes” discovered in our coverage area. The problem was amplified by the fact that neither local maintenance personnel nor manufacture’s technical representatives could find any equipment deficiencies. The Area Surveillance Radar (ASR) was fully peaked. Numerous components changed, and the entire unit underwent major alignment. Flight checks continued to find no appreciable improvement in radar coverage. The GCA was notamed off the air on 5 September, for extensive trouble shooting. An emergency maintenance team from GEEIA arrived on station 13 September. The team replaced the entire “S” antenna and reflector assemblies with equipment brought over with them. On completion, no improvement was noted. Gilfillan representatives remained on site providing technical assistance during the duration of the tests. A team from the 1st Mobile Communications Group arrived on 21 September, and installed a second AN/MPN-13, Mobile GCA, approximately 400 feet from the primary GCA, for comparison studies. It was discovered that the new GCA suffered the same problems as the original one. Captain Denis Golemis and a Radar Evaluation Team from the 6003 Support Squadron, Det 2 arrived on station on 12 October, to provide assistance in reactivating our GCA unit. Baffles, consisting of radar absorption pads and sandbags were used to determine if our problem was originating from reflective radiations. It was determined at that time that reflective radiations were at least a portion of the problem. Also on 12 October, an AN/TPN-17, Landing Control Central, arrived from Clark AB, Philippines. The set was utilized to see if a different radar frequency could eliminate the problem with negative results. The results were all negative, even after extensive solar radiation checks, relocation of the GCA unit, and equipment performance checks. Technical assistance was provided by Gilfillan Co., PACAF Radar Evaluation Team, 1st Mobile Comm Gp, GEEIA, and Headquarters, AFCS during the problem period. The parametric amplifier was replaced in the problem plagued GCA unit resulting in improved radar coverage. The unit was again flight checked on 22 October, using the new parametric amplifier and the AN/CPN-4 antenna. The GCA facility was returned to operational status on 26 October, with restrictions on range and altitude. On 2 November, 1st Lt Richard Cohen and TSgt William Atkins arrived from Headquarters, AFCS to provide technical assistance. In late November, work was begun by 554 Civil Engineers to build an earthen revetment around the GCA site. The revetment absorbed or deflected undesirable signal reflections, increasing signal strength, and reducing the blind area. The unit was again flight checked, after completion of the revetment construction, and the uit passed with an increase in allowed altitude and range. In early September, a team from the 1st Mobile Comm Gp arrived on station to recover the AN/MTC-2, Mobile Switchboard Van, which had provided the heartbeat of Phan Rang’s telephone system since the birth of the base. The van was returned to Clark AB, PI, after it was firmly determined that the cutover of the dial central office was successful. On 7 September, Radio Maintenance personnel installed an AN/MRN-20, Air Traffic Control Set, RSU, on the North end of our active runway. This job was accomplished with no major problems encountered. On 5 October, maintenance responsibility for the AN/MGC-6, Mobile Communications Center, deployed in support of the 834 Air Division Air Lift Command Element (ALCE) was accepted. Later in November, Wire Maintenance inspected and accepted maintenance responsibility for #01 main cable, providing service to a major area of the Air Base. Also during late November, the UNIVAC 1050-II Computer in Base Supply encountered problems operating on base power. It was discovered that the power fluctuation incurred during generator changeover was beyond the maximum tolerance of the computer. Our Computer Maintenance personnel rewrote the clock and sector tracks on both “drums” (primary information storage units), and eliminated the problem.
To the top of page

Base Attacks

Attack Aircraft Personnel
Seq No Date/Time Type Rounds Destroyed Damaged KIA WIA
Total Phan Rang 0 0 0 0 0 0
Total AF Vietnam 17 670 16 139 28 384
Phan Rang Percentage 0.0% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0%

BASE Attacks Inbound
Aircraft Personnel
Destroyed Damaged KIA WIA
Da Nang 5 161 10 77 21 317
Binh Thuy 4 227 0 22 0 9
Bien Hoa 3 204 2 32 6 33
Nha Trang 3 46 4 8 0 9
Pleiku 1 32 0 0 0 0
Tuy Hoa 1 0 0 0 1 3